Pages

7.09.2010

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do...Too: Jake Walk's Halloumi & Arugula Salad

While in Brooklyn a few weeks back, my fiance and I kicked back a few frosty ones with my parents at a neighborhood bar called Jake Walk. Upon perusing their menu for some good eats, I settled on Jake Walk's Halloumi  & Arugula Salad and fell in love. Instantly, I knew what I had to do... dissect the recipe! 




Although this was not the first time that I've tried halloumi (Zahav in Philly has its own masterful version!), it was this salad that made me realize just how much I like this type of cheese. Why? Well, it's  unlike any other cheeses I've tried in the past. Halloumi, an imported cheese from Cyprus, has an extremely high melting point, thus allowing it to be grilled or fried without loosing its firm texture. Amazing! Since halloumi is super salty, it pairs well with many different types of foods - from sweet date purees to spicy peppadew peppers. It was this spicy combo that really caught my attention. So, without further ado, the recipe breakdown: 




Halloumi & Arugula Salad
1 container Organic Arugula
6 oz Halloumi Cheese (Found at Whole Foods or other comparable market.)
1/2 cup bread crumbs 
2 egg whites
1/2 cup finely sliced Red Onion 
3/4 cup chopped Peppadew Peppers (Another Whole Foods find in their "Olive Bar.")
1/4 cup Olive Oil + 2 tbs
1/4 cup Red Wine or White Balsamic Vinegar (More or less, to taste.)
Salt & Pepper

Heat skillet with 2 tablespoon of oil. Place egg whites in one bowl and bread crumbs in another. Slice halloumi into long, thin slices then dip into egg whites and cover with bread crumbs. Place halloumi in skillet, brown evenly on both sides. While halloumi is cooking, combine all remaining ingredients and toss gently. Top with halloumi and enjoy!

0 comments: